Monday 27 January 2014

Human attention is a commodity

Have you ever imagined life without TV? Personally, I think that this device wreaks unbelievable havoc in a social fabric. I live without television channels for long time and there is nothing I lack. 

Try to consider what leads investors to finance projects which have so many flaws that should be legally prohibited, such as TV stations?  Answer: the possibility to land the only resource that is unique - human attention. For the "content" presented on TV we always have to pay - our attention.
If we have the resource limited in such a way, it means that we can't devote time to other purposes - our loved ones, parents, children, relatives. We can't sacrifice for the other activities - reading, writing, chopping wood, digging the garden, learning new things, going for walks, cooking, etc. Is called opportunity cost. Indeed, the cost is enormous, because human attention is indivisible, at least for men :) 


"People thought they are customers, in reality they are product"

2 comments:

  1. you're totally right! we spend too much time on watching TV...it has a big influence over our life and it' a kind of manipulation..more and more people are becoming addicted to watching tv series or other stuff...but, to be honest, I can't imagine my everyday life without TV..I don't spend a lot of time in front of the TV, but for example, thanks to TV news, I can get to know what's going on in the world..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know who is the author of the quote? I tried Google, but the sentences is always quoted without any credit given to its author. Anyhow, it is an interesting point. I myself hardly ever watch TV, like once in two-three weeks, unless you count films and series on DVD and online. I guess the most important thing is to have full control over what you watch and when.

    ReplyDelete