Saturday 17 May 2014

Alberto Martini, the master of black and white

When people ask me what's my favourite piece of art I always hesitate before giving an aswer. At this moment I am also nonplussed. I take a deep breath, and mentally scan my memory to choose the best one. I recall the many occasions when - astonished, irresolute, deeply touched - I stood in front of one of the works of art. Finally, comes to my mind quite little know artist. I choose him, because I am almost sure that you have never heard about him. His name is Alberto Martini!

Alberto Martini was an italian painter, engraver, grafic designer and great illustator. He was born in Oderzo (Treviso) in Italy on November 24 in 1876. Under the guidance of his father Giorgio, Alberto began to paint and draw, continuing in this way the family tradition. In fact, his father's maternal relatives were known as decorators and painters of Venetian mosaics. During the years of training Martini created countless drawings, immediately revealing a particular fondness for graphics. He also created oils, watercolors and gouaches of small size thanks to which, reached the first valid results in the academy. The favorite themes were those of the Venetian countryside and peasants at work: so primarily, the man and his relationship with nature. 

In 1897, when he was only 21 years, he exhibited for the first time at the Venice Biennale with the cycle of drawings La corte dei miracoli, inspired by Notre-Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo. He illustrated numerous books like Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri, Macbeth of Shakespeare, A Season in Hell of Rimbaud, Tales of the Grotesque and Arabesque of E.A. Poe and he was very productive designing postcard series. During World War I he designed five series of postcards called: Danza Macabra Europea. By art critics Alberto Martini is called a surrealist and symbolist, but in my opinion, his artistic creation can 't be so easily pigeonholed. 

I particularly like the illustrations for Edgar Allan Poe's tales. Today I would like to show you one of them. It's the picture to the novel titled Willam Wilson. The story is based on the figure of a look-alike which persecutes a man throughout life. In my opinion, Alberto Martini's illustration reflects the content of story and its meaning in the exellent way. I consider this piece of art very symbolic and uncommon. Look at least at the expression on the face of the second Wilson, who stands behind the back of the one in the foreground. The image suggests that the first Wilson is prone to instigations promted from behind his back. The second Wilson looks like the impersonation of evil inciting the narrator to do wrong. It's really untypical representation, because for the most illustators the second Wilson was just the personification of consciousness rather than incarnation of evil dominance. The second thing that makes an impression on the viewer is a great use of light and shadow through which, Alberto Martini is considered a master of black and white.

Do you like this picture? Did you read the novel William Wilson of E.A. Poe? 
I am looking forward to your opinion! 

For more information and pictures look at: http://www.oderzocultura.it/index.php?topic=pinacoteca


1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that I have never heard about Alberto Martini :) thanks to you, now I know something about him and his art which, in my opinion, seems to be very interesting

    ReplyDelete